Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Blog: Social networking sites

      Social networking sites have provided society with a way to interact with each other, as well as provide vital updates to what is happening around the world. Some of these social networking sites include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Although they all share some similarities, they were all created for different purposes and provide people with different content. Generally an individual will have a preference over which social networking website they use the most because they prefer the quality of the content that is offered and better enjoy the user experience.

      Facebook is a platform that I personally do not use anymore. When it was created, it was a very popular site that had overtaken MySpace which was the reason I had created an account. In my opinion, it offers the most complex user interface out of the four websites I have chosen. It breaks down various groups on the left side of the page with subheadings which include shortcuts, the explore pages, and groups you may be in. Facebook also is the only platform that offers a marketplace out of the four social networking websites, which allows users to sell a variety of items. Facebook would probably have to be my least favorite as I do not find the user experience to be optimal for me.

      Twitter would probably be my favorite social networking platform. The reason for this is because the quality of the content provided is something I enjoy. I am not only able to receive the latest updates on current events, but also provides tons of humorous content which I personally enjoy. The user interface is also very simple which I think enhances the experience. People are able to freely interact and repost things that they enjoy. The only downside I believe is the lack of an edit button. This is inconvenient sometimes as users are not able to edit previous messages, causing them to either delete the tweet or repost an entirely new one.

      LinkedIn is a social networking platform that mainly emphasizes on "professionalism". It is where individuals are able to showcase their skills, work experiences, and anything else that may help them market themselves to employers. I use LinkedIn whenever I am looking for internships and jobs, and its a relatively easy website to navigate. They showcase step by step how to setup a profile, and seem to always want feedback on the experience that they are offering. I believe that this would probably be the platform where most individuals are constantly updating their profiles as they want to include new skills and works experiences to further separate their profiles from others.

      Instagram would probably be my second favorite social networking platform. It provides unique content relative to the other platforms and similar to Twitter, I enjoy how personalized that content is. It is also a very easy user interface to navigate and very easy to learn. I believe that mixed with the content provided and the usability on a daily basis, it is a platform that I visit for entertainment. Instagram also is very useful when trying to figure how things may look. For example, if you wanted to eat a popular dish in a new city, chances are that someone may have visited there already and posted a picture. This gives people an insight on how certain food may look from a restaurant, or even how a destination they may be visiting may look as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next New

Innovation is something that many companies strive for, spending millions and even billions for a chance find something new that can help ...